Goodreads Blurb
"Bono met his wife in high school," Park says.
"So did Jerry Lee Lewis," Eleanor answers.
"I’m not kidding," he says.
"You should be," she says, "we’re sixteen."
"What about Romeo and Juliet?"
"Shallow, confused, then dead."
''I love you," Park says.
"Wherefore art thou," Eleanor answers.
"I’m not kidding," he says.
"You should be."
Set over the course of one school year in 1986, ELEANOR AND PARK is the story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love – and just how hard it pulled you under.
"So did Jerry Lee Lewis," Eleanor answers.
"I’m not kidding," he says.
"You should be," she says, "we’re sixteen."
"What about Romeo and Juliet?"
"Shallow, confused, then dead."
''I love you," Park says.
"Wherefore art thou," Eleanor answers.
"I’m not kidding," he says.
"You should be."
Set over the course of one school year in 1986, ELEANOR AND PARK is the story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love – and just how hard it pulled you under.
This was such an interesting book, but it's definitely hard to write a review since I didn't really feel that strongly about it! Just a warning.
It's definitely different, but, I have to admit, it took me 3 times as long to finish this book than usual. It was a bit slow and took some time to get used to but as you continue to read, the more...invested, for lack of better words, you get. Suddenly you care about the characters and this kind of anticipation sets in where you know the shit will hit the fan (excuse the language), but you're still holding on to some small little hope that it won't and that the book will have a Happy Ever Ever Ever After (I did indeed feel the need to include two extra Evers.)
Since I was born near (No, I'm not giving the exact year) 2000, I couldn't really relate to all the bands mentioned nor am I a comic book fan, so I couldn't relate to that either. I'm guessing, though, that older readers will definitely love it and point out their favorite bands to their friends--hey, it's what I would do! Set in the 80's, it was a bit hard for me to relate to and there were a few things that may have perplexed me...*cough*
I did love the characters, especially Eleanor with her dry humor and witty comments! She made me laugh out loud so many times! and Park was definitely a complex character, but honestly? I couldn't really relate to either of them and they seemed so...different.
Also, I want to point out that even though my mom's Chinese, her English is bad, but not AS bad as Park's mom (Korean, Chinese, Asian.). Though it is close! So I definitely have to commend Rainbow for at least putting some dialect in there!
The romance is definitely something I have to comment on. It was so bittersweet and so adorable I just wanted to hug the two. I don't think YA has ever painted a more real of firsts: First kiss, first feeling, first love and the hardships that come with it. It's possibly the most realistic romance I've seen and in YA...well, it's hard. Don't get me wrong! I love the romances in other books (God knows I have hundred-tweet-wars over some of the guys in YA), but this is possibly the one real relationship, if that makes any sense!
I loved the issues that this book dealed with too. Okay, let me rephrase that: I love how...well, let's just say, it's the same deal with the romance. It's possibly the most real and most heartbreaking kind of family I've read about in a while and it made me want to gather up the broken pieces of this family and glue them together, even if I couldn't really relate. I don't think I can describe it better than that.
The thing about this book is that it doesn't really make a big impact, but it does leave an impression on the reader when you're finished. The ending was...wow. It's not something that usually happens in YA literature, I'll say that! And the ending definitely makes you tear up, just a little. It was such a bittersweet moment...but, oh! I can't say much, can I? You'll just have to read this yourself! I definitely recommend this for anyone who loves contemporaries and anyone who adores those sweet little romances, and someone who maybe wants something...different.
Also, awesome name Rainbow. Awesome name.
Pages: 320
Genre: Contemporary/Realistic
Series: Stand alone
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Release Date: Feb. 26, 2013
Rating: 3.5--->4 stars


I've been hearing so much about this one; it's great to hear a different perspective. I'm definitely intrigued, though!
ReplyDeleteAhhh. This book is everywhere and I can't wait to read it!! And oh my goodness, I can't wait to read about the realistic romance.
ReplyDeleteAH. Great review, I'm really excited for this one now.
EEEK NIKKI GUESS WHAT.
ReplyDeleteI had to skim this review D:
I HATE THAT I HAD TO SKIM THIS REVIEW.
But I borrowed this from the library and I'm REALLY SUPER excited to read this one soon, and I'm the "I refuse to read reviews before I read a book or else my opinion will be influenced and I can't let that happen" kind of person.
BUT I'M POSITIVE THAT YOUR REVIEW WAS AMAZING.