Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Glitch by Heather Anastasiu


Glitch (Glitch, #1)
Goodreads Blurb
In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.

When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.

As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.

In this action-packed debut, Glitch begins an exciting new young adult trilogy.

Starting with the bad and ending in the good, Glitch had horrible, horrible, romance qualities. It seemed insta-love-ish because of the fact that after only what? A few hours she met Adrien, they were already making out. Good lord, spare me. She seemed to feel a “connection” despite the fact that she had barely known him. Honestly, I wanted to strangle some sense into her. And then, afterwards when her memory’s gone (totally not a spoiler. You’ll see when you read it) she’s suddenly the apple of another guy’s eye who loves her. *cough* AWKWARD. And she goes along with it, never mind the fact that it feels…wrong. So, you guessed it. LOVE TRIANGLE.

But while the romance really irked me, I actually liked Glitch! It, honestly, would’ve been so much better without the romance, but the world-building, the characters, the plot—they were all things I enjoyed reading about. The world-building was amazing and the way that each hard drive was wired in and how the Link controlled the people were amazing. The descriptions didn’t confuse me (much. Trust me, I’m totally lost on all this tech stuff). And I loved that the Link would hold of your emotions and that it made all color gray. I’m not sure if that symbolized anything…? But still. Love the world.

The characters! I can say I related to Zoe a lot. I mean, can you imagine not being able to feel anything? Not being able to see color? I could definitely relate to craving all that, despite being told all my life that it was wrong and abominable. Adrien was as great a character as Zoe and I think they were perfect together! Smiles…definitely. Characters were one of my favorite things about Glitch!

Plot? The plot was so…twisty. I mean, you had absolutely no idea who to trust. The good guys were bad, the bad guys were good. It was just AGH. But it made Glitch so much better! It’s like, you knew someone would stab Zoe in the back, but with all these people involved, you had no idea who! And the plot twists. Oh My God, the plot twists! I had to (well, in my literary mind) run to catch up with them! I was like, plo twist after plot twist which , usually, would be annoying. And yet, for some reason, I enjoyed it in Glitch!

Pages: 371
Series: Glitch #1
Genre: Dystopian/Romance
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Release Date: August 7
Rating: 3.5---> 4




"Adrien wasn't trying o help me at all. He was trying to kill me."

6 comments:

  1. tnx 4 the fun review. i'm on the fence
    love triangles and ista love are poison to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate Insta-love, but it sounds like there were some redeeming qualities so I'll add this to my to read list anyway. great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another love triangle. Oh, dear. But...after reading the rest of the review I kinda wanna read the book so, to my TBR! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book has such an original story idea and I was curious about how good it is. I'm glad to read that you liked it and that the plot was "twisty"! Even with the romance part being not-so-great, I still think this sounds great and I can't wait to read it! Thanks for the info!

    Suz Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this book, but the romance didn't annoy me that much. I didn't even see Max as a potential guy for her considering he was just way too forceful and she never showed any feelings for him. I kept wanting to shake the book though and be like "back-off Max, it's not okay to force your raging hormones on others" but yeah...I got invested. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good gravy train, I don't know what to think about Glitch. Gah, the reviews are so across the board. I am still a little gun shy with sci-fi but I am getting more into it. I don't know whether or not to read this one, because I don't want to be scared away from great sci's in the future. Sigh! I just don't know what to do with this one. If I ended up with Glitch in my hands or at the library, I wouldn't be able to pass it up. I reckon we shall see. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome all! I'd love to hear what you think, even if they're lies saying that my reviews are fantastic. I take flattery in all forms ;D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...