Making friends has never been Elise Dembowski’s strong suit. All throughout her life, she’s been the butt of every joke and the outsider in every conversation. When a final attempt at popularity fails, Elise nearly gives up. Then she stumbles upon a warehouse party where she meets Vicky, a girl in a band who accepts her; Char, a cute, yet mysterious disc jockey; Pippa, a carefree spirit from England; and most importantly, a love for DJing.
Honestly, going into this, I wasn't really sure I would love this. Yes, it sounded awesome and yes, it sounded like my kind of book. But I was in a giant book slump at the time and wasn't particularly loving anything I'd read. So of course This Song Will Save Your Life managed to break that funk!
The first chapter absolutely broke my heart and I swear there was something in my throat. Not only because I couldn't help but hurt for Elise, but also because...well. There's a scene in which Elise joins a group of friends for lunch and they...well they have all these inside stories, inside jokes and don't really bother to clue Elise in. And at the end of lunch? They do an inside thing and Elise, clueless, ends up being the one that picks up the trash. Literally. And honestly? This can almost perfectly reflect last year--and I was one of those friends. One of those that neglected this girl who sat with us at lunch. (I don't think she was bullied, but I know she was avoided because...well, she was obnoxious and started rumors about herself. I'm not trying to justify myself, but now...I think she just wanted attention. Just. Like. Elise.)
So I can pretty much vouch that the voice in this story is real. Everything that happens? I'm sure it's been played out somewhere. It's heartbreaking, but something that you can't help but relate to.
Because you can relate to the story, or at least Elise. She's alone, she doesn't belong, and she feels outcasted, lost. And I'm sure everyone's felt that way one time or another. I have a core group of friends--but there are so many times when I felt like Elise, like no one understood me and never would. And I'll admit I've thought about suicide once in a while. And now...I'm getting personal. So on with the review!
It was easy to feel for her and easy to understand where she came from. I may not be playing her role in the story of my school, but I can't help but hurt for her and cry for her. She's such a real character and one that just hits close to home. She's annoying at times, you can't help but love her other times, and sometimes it's just a mix of both. And that's the beauty of her. She's so flawed and I'm almost a hundred percent sure that there's a bit of her in everyone.
And we got to see her grow as a character, as a person. We see her on her new adventure, her new life. It's uplifting and, once in a while, hilarious. We meet the people who help her along the way, and the ones who'll try to tear her down. And in the end, we get an ending that's just...perfect.
This Song Will Save Your Life is an absolute must read for anyone and everyone. Even if it doesn't sound like your book--you have to read it. Somehow Leila Sales manages to reach into you and twist your heart. It's just...one of those books everyone has to read.
Pages: 288
Genre: Contemporary
Series: Standalone
Publisher: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux
Release Date: Sep 17, 2013


Ohhhh, this sounds amazing!!! I never paid any attention to this book at all! I think there was one coming out that had a pretty similar title and sounded completely cheesy, so I never bothered to check the synopsis of This Song Will Save Your Life?? Also, the title really didn't catch me. But from the way you describe the story, it should be an absolute MUST read for me,too! I do understand what it means to be the odd one out in a group of friends (if you can even call it that), and I love books where these kinds of isssues are adressed. So, thank you SO much for making me aware of this book! I would've never thought about reading it otherwise!!! Oh, and a random side note - have you read 34 Pieces of Me by Carmen Rodriguez? Because that book seems to be very similar and I loved it to pieces!
ReplyDeleteI totally get this review Nikki, I've also felt like an outcast at times, I'm pretty sure everyone has. Fantastic review, I wasn't sure about this one before, but you've massively changed my mind!
ReplyDeleteJust remember, you'll never be an outsider in the book blogging community. :)
Tilly @ Hardcore Heroines